On October 18, 2015, Shiloh Pentecostal Holiness Church celebrated its centennial anniversary. Pastor T. Elwood Long welcomed Dr. A.D. Beacham of Oklahoma City, presiding Bishop of the International Pentecostal Holiness Church, as guest speaker for the 100th Homecoming service. The 422 in attendance enjoyed the message, songs of worship, time of reminiscence and fellowship around the meal, which was catered by Lowell Mill Restaurant.
The first significant event in Shiloh Church history occurred on April 21, 1915, when James and Prudence Mercer conveyed a plot of land about one mile west of the present location to Ennis Pearson, acting as a trustee and “one of the promoters” for a Pentecostal Holiness Church, yet to be named or organized. What an act of faith!
Soon thereafter, Rev. William James Nobel named and organized the Shiloh Pentecostal Holiness Church with five charter members. The earliest congregations, served by circuit pastors and lay ministers, worshipped God in homes and brush arbours and, by 1918, has established Sunday School and built their first church building.
By 1920, Shiloh began supporting foreign missions, giving toward a project to build a home for missionaries in China, and offering support for what would become the Falcon Children’s Home.
In July 1921, tragedy struck the young church when trustee and deacon Ennis Pearson was killed. In August, in a revival with Rev. Edward David Morris, several of his brothers and sisters, along with others, came to the Lord and united with the church.
In the 1920s, under the leadership of Preston F. Little, Sam A. Fann, Charles W. Bass and Charles B. Strickland, the church experienced several revivals and Sunday School attendance nearly tripled. An addition was built onto the church about 1924 and church membership reached 61.
The church remained steady in the 1930s and 1940s and was served by several pastors, including Donald J. Little, William J. Noble, Ernest S. Beasley, W. Eddie Morris, Ralph R. Johnson, O.C. Cowan and George A. Casper. Revivals in 1931 and 1940 stirred the youth in the community and, in a 1936 spring revival, nine confessed Christ during a dismissal prayer. In 1943, the church acquired land at its present location and built a new sanctuary. This facility served the church well until damaged by fire in 1969.
The 1950s saw a period of growth and a new ministry for Shiloh. Under the leadership of Gene E. Lewis, John E. Knapp, Vernon K. Clark, and Joe L. Russell, Jr., average Sunday school attendance doubled, and the Woman’s Auxiliary and Pentecostal Holiness Youth Society were organized. The church built its first parsonage in 1951, added Sunday School rooms by 1956, and dedicated a new sanctuary in 1960.
In the 1960s, under the leadership of Odell T. Howard and Lalleon Narron, the church experienced several good revivals and began to promote youth ministry and participation, such as Bible Quiz and Teen Talent. A new Christian Education annexe was built in 1970.
In the 1970s and 1980s, under the leadership of Vernon K. Clark and T. Elwood Long, Shiloh began to focus on outreach, including a global missions commitment program. nursing home ministry and radio ministry. Facility enhancements included a fellowship building by 1972 (now the Royal Rangers outpost), a new parsonage in 1979, a new fellowship hall in 1981 and sanctuary renovation in 1985.
In the 1990s, under the leadership of Ralph W. Jernigan and Ralph S. Leggett, Shiloh added a youth minister to its staff, paved its parking area, and dedicated a Family Life Center in 1999.
Since 2000, under the leadership of David Wood and T. Elwood Long, Shiloh has continued its upreach and outreach, organizing CARE Team Ministry in 2001, Primetime’s Seniors Ministry in 2003, Praise Team Ministry in 2004, and Food Ministry in 2009. The church built Pammie’s Playground for children in 2006, a prayer garden in 2013 and renewed its sanctuary in 2015.
Since 1915, over 500 have been part of Shiloh in membership and over 1500 have attended its Sunday School. Over 1800 experiences with God have been reported, whether in salvation, sanctification, baptism in the Holy Spirit, or water baptism.
The purpose of the Shiloh Church for the last century has been to magnify Jesus Christ through preaching, teaching, singing, praising, giving, serving, loving, and pointing others to Him! And only the Lord has recorded the total number of those impacted, both locally and globally, by the prayers, offerings, ministries, and love of the Shiloh people through the years.